
One month ago today, my father passed away. Needless to say this last month has been difficult for me and my family. I don't know if would be quite so difficult if he wasn't so involved in each one of our lives. He truly cared about every one of us and knew what we were doing. He always had great advice but never seemed "preachy". He knew how to make things just a little bit better or a little bit more fun. He always had the right tools and the right skills to finish a project. He was always helping...and on the day he died he called me and told me he had a plan all drawn out to help finish the basement. He knew just how many boards we needed and exactly how much it would cost. He was ALWAYS looking for a way he could help his family.

My dad was always so much fun! I have so many memories of him at the lake. I think this was where he loved to be the most...as long as his family was with him. I will always remember him teaching me to ski (and a lot of friends for that matter) and all the
firedrills. I remember one morning at Lake Powell waking up really early. The lake was glass and I wanted to ski. My dad was always an early riser, and he took me out before anyone else. If you were lucky, you got to spend a day with my dad in the boat and you knew just how much fun he was. He treated everyone like family. My friends all loved him...and he loved my friends. He would still ask about my friends and their
families...even if he hadn't seen them in 10 years.

He was such a great grandpa to my kids! We had the chance to live with my parents twice since Todd and I have been married. Not once can I remember him raising his voice at my kids. When Brady would wake up in the morning, my dad would be eating his breakfast at the bar. He would always stand up, say "hey Brade", and put out his knuckles. Brady knew this meant he should give him what he called, "knuckle sandwich, high five". He did special things with them to let them know he loved them and he cared. Brady would always follow him around when he was working on a project and he never seemed to mind the "extra" help. Brady loved to work with my dad in the yard. He loved raking the leaves with him, and somehow, each fall it always turned into a party as the
grandkids would jump in the big piles of leaves. It probably ended up being more work for him, but if the
grandkids were having fun he didn't mind. Brady loved sitting on grandpa's lap and driving the boat, hikes up to
Bloomington lake, trips to the hardware stores, roasting marshmallows and
hotdogs, and 4 wheeler rides. He always had a way with the littlest grandchildren. He would always pick them up, put them on his lap and tickle their little tummies. They seemed to be
mesmerized, and he could always calm them down when they were extra cranky.
.JPG)
One of Brady's favorite things to do was to feed the birds and deer in my parent's backyard. He would take each of the
grandkids and let them scoop up some seed from the shed and sprinkle it all around so we could watch the birds eat. One year we had baby quail build their nest in some of our bushes. We got to watch them grow from the time they were babies. I think my dad took especially good care of them that year. We could always tell which birds my dad was feeding because they were the fat ones.

We had Ava while we still lived in Oklahoma. We waited to bless her until we moved back. I'm so grateful we did. My dad was always willing and ready to use the priesthood. Growing up we always had blessings before each school year. He participated in every one of his
childrens and
grandchildren's ordinences. My nephew is getting the
priesthood today and I'm sure he won't be far from that room. My dad always lived the gospel and we knew what he believed by how he lived his life.
He is such a wonderful dad and grandpa! I still have to remind myself that he is
actually gone. I know that it will only be a short time before I get to see, love, hear, touch, hug, and
receive council from my dad again!
13 comments:
What a beautiful post Brooke and what an amazing dad you have! He was always so nice to me and I always remember thinking what a great dad you had. You and your family are still on my mind a lot and I pray that you guys are doing okay, love ya!
Thanks for the great post. He sounds like an amazing person.
Brooke,
Hearing your memories of Dad makes me remember some of those same ones. He was the best at showing us how much he cared and loved us. Thanks for sharing all of your fun memories. I love you lots
Heather
Brooke what a beautiful tribute to your dad! I am so sorry to hear about your dad! I met him a couple of times at different cheerleading events and he was such a Christlike person! Our thoughts and prayers are with your family!
What a great post, Brooke. I'm actually reading it at work and I had to stop myself from crying. Thanks for sharing these fun memories. I hope that you're doing ok. I think about you a lot.
Thatis so neat. I am sitting here in tears. Looking at all of those pictures and stuff just reminds me how much I always loved your dad. I think he was one of the coolest dad's I know. I know this next year will be hard at times, so if you ever need anything, I am always here. I love you and your family so much! You are always in my prayers.
Wow...what a wonderful man. What a blessing it is to have only fond memories of him. I remember him being the nicest guy...always making me and dave feel welcome, even when we were at their house constantly! Thanks for sharing your feelings with all of us. I hope you are doing ok...we are always thinking of you.
We want to see you guys soon!
I loved reading that, it was touching to hear about your dad and how amazing he was. my thoughts are still with you and i hope to see you soon.
Brookie...I love you sweetie and loved reading this post. What an incredible man he was. I am so impressed with how fun and cute he is with your kids and that he had all the plans for your basement drawn up. He sounds so full of love and service and just a fun person. I know this must be really hard on you and your family but you are so right...it will be a great reunion when you see him again and get to experience all those same feelings again. I really love and pray for you sweetie and so glad you did this tribute about him. YOu are so strong and I have been so in awe at how you seem to be carrying on. Love you lots girl.
Brooke:
You have been in my thoughts and prayers lately. I'm happy to hear you are doing o.k. despite such difficult circumstances. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tribute to your dad.
That was a beautiful tribute to your father. I'm sure he's amazing. I'm sorry to hear about his loss. I'm sure it was very hard, but at the same time healing to gather together all his loved ones and reminisce all the good times you've shared.
I followed your link through the Murdock's blog. Hope you don't mind me adding you to our favorites so we can check in on you guys.
Hi Brooke and Todd:
Brooke, we were so sorry to hear about your dad.
We just want you to know that your family and your mother have been in our thoughts.
Magalei family.
Brooke, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. He was a wonderful man. When I heard the news, I tried to find an email address and didn't have any luck. I just stumbled upon your blog today. My thoughts and prayers have been with you...
Post a Comment